24 Ways to Embrace Holistic Living While Working from Home
How to keep your mind, body and spirit healthy while staying at home.
By Barbara Kaplan
By definition, holistic living means understanding that the individual parts of something are intimately interconnected and justifiable only in reference to the whole. Thus, it takes into consideration the whole body or person.
Interior design for holistic living is about designing for a person’s wellbeing and also supporting their wellness of mind, body and spirit in regard to the environment in which they dwell.
Holistic design delves into our thoughts and feelings for an outcome that supports and nurtures to bring us success and joy.
Below are a few easily implemented suggestions for taking better care of ourselves during this time of change and uncertainty.
1. Avoid eating at your desk. Enjoy a break elsewhere.
2. Have fresh flowers or plants by your desk.
3. Use favorite writing utensils-pens, pencils paper.
4. Change your favorite screen savers often.
5. Stand up every 20 minutes to stretch and walk a few steps.
6. Whenever you’re returning to your computer, wash your hands and refresh your wrists and back of neck with cold water.
7. When waiting for a call, a new screen to open, or anything, take a few slow deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
8. Don’t wear shoes if you don’t have to.
9. Wiggle your toes, ankles, and fingers as often as possible. Do arm curls at your desk.
10. Wear lipstick or Chapstick to keep your lips moist.
11. Take a drink of water every 15 minutes.
12. Change the chair you sit on, at least once a day.
13. Alternate working at a standing desk.
14. When on a phone call, pace as you talk. You can even schedule some phone calls for when you walk outside.
15. While sitting be aware of your posture and straighten from your hips, often.
16. Stretch your arms, back and shoulders and notice when you start to slump forward.
17. Be mindful of your body and move it when and where needed.
18. Don’t twist your body or cross your legs when sitting at your desk.
19. Don’t read doom-and-gloom emails.
20. Play music you enjoy. Let the people you speak to on the phone overhear it too.
21. Keep lights off, as much as you can and work in natural sun light from windows.
22. Open all windows, as long as the weather allows.
23. Consider taking your work outdoors, if possible.
24. Stick to eating healthy food at meal times and curb snacks unless they are healthy ones, too.