Subscribe Today
Give a Gift
Customer Service

Phoenix Home and Garden
Subscribe Today!
For the HomeFor the GardenFood & EntertainingResourcesArticle Archive
For The Home

New Art for Your Floor

Author: Shawndrea Corbin
Issue: March, 2016, Page 36
Today’s fine rugs blend traditional styling with modern colors, ideas and technology

The Southwest home’s love affair with characterful rugs is nothing new. While classic designs have long reigned supreme, current trends update archetypal styles but with fresh twists. From saturated jewel tones to reimagined patterns and the inclusion of new natural and
synthetic fibers, these floor coverings are hard-working and beautiful.
Technicolor Affair Rugs in bold hues provide homeowners with a unique choice to bring strong color to their floors. These vivid accessories command center stage in a room, adding instant personality.
When expressed in vintage styles, the combination works well in popular transitional interiors.Geometric Navajo rugs, for instance, have always been a quintessential element in the Southwest, but they are now being expressed with nonconventional hues that are well suited to today’s furnishings and aesthetics. “We are seeing very vivid colors, such as sky blue, eggplant and emerald.

These rugs require a lot of confidence and aren’t for the timid,” says David Adler, owner of David E. Adler Inc.
Ingrid Harazim of World of Rugs agrees, adding that artfully faded versions of these rugs are a less bold, yet equally attractive option. “Faded aqua greens, pale turquoise shades and earthy brick reds are very popular colors for rugs right now,” she says. “When these colors are paired with the effect of being washed out or naturally faded, they look even more authentically vintage and well-loved.”
In With the Old Classic rug patterns, including tribal prints and scrolling Persian and floral Victorian designs, are being reimagined and re-created by rug designers around the world.
“Manufacturers are going back to their archives and selecting old designs from the ’30s, ’40 and ’50s,” says Harazim. “Primitive, not-perfectly
symmetrical rugs have so much character because an artisan weaver made them by hand.”
Advances in technology now allow these sophisticated antique designs to





be replicated in new rugs at a reasonable cost and with greater structural ingenuity. The detailed reproductions and adaptations are more durable than their authentic counterparts and are ideal for adding a touch of vintage elegance to high-traffic areas.
“This old-world, handcrafted charm pairs very well with clean, contemporary furniture, so manufacturers are finding ways to capitalize on this by reimagining the prints and using nontraditional colors with a modern sensibility,” says Harazim.


new fibers Wool has traditionally been the go-to material choice for rugs, renowned for its durability and ability to be easily cleaned. However, the recent inclusion of unconventional materials and advancements in synthetic fibers have given birth to new rug textures and wear properties.
“It used to be that about 95 percent of rugs were wool, and the other 5 percent were either silk-and-wool or all-silk,” notes Saeed Aslam, a third-
generation rug merchant from Alyshaan Fine Rugs. “Now, they’ve created artificial silk from bamboo and silk rayon. These fibers have been very popular in Asia for a while but have only recently been introduced into rugs here.”
q
David Neishabori of Azadi Fine Rugs also weighs in on the inclusion of new materials: “We are seeing the use of natural fibers in rugs including, cactus, banana and bamboo,” he says. Hemp, nettle and aloe are also being used in conjunction with wool fibers for increased strength and unique textures.
Recycled materials can also be found in a number of new rug concepts. “We carry some rugs that are made from unraveled sari silk,” says Adler. “Many rug makers are beginning to lean toward keeping environmental sensitivity in mind with their material choices.”

Subscribe Today!